Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"I spent all my life pretending I was off somewhere else. Off with you, on one of your adventures. But my own adventure turned out to be quite different."

"I spent all my life pretending I was off somewhere else. Off with you, on one of your adventures. But my own adventure turned out to be quite different."

Time to play catch up. Today marks 2 months in Spain which, I have to say, doesn't have much of a profound effect on me. This time I have no profound message or some exciting weekend to go off of. It's not that I haven't been doing anything for a month, just more like what I'm doing has become my routine so I didn't think it would be very interesting to talk about. However, I realize that is because I've already adjusted to all of the social customs which I originally thought we're quite strange/different. Soooo for those of you who haven't spent the last 2 months in Spain getting used to these things everyday, here are some observations and general detail about my life here.

One of the first things people always wonder about foreign countries is if the food is good. The answer is yes! Something I can already tell I'm going to miss when I come home so I'm hoping to learn how to make a couple of my favorites before I leave. Spain is famous for Paella which is a rice, vegetables and either seafood or meat mix. Kind of like Gumbo but less soupy. Also kind of like Feed My Starving Children food, but with way better flavor and real meat.  I've had Paella multiple times here. The first time I made it we were with the exchange students and had a lesson on making Paella. Turns out it's meant to be a social activity because it takes multiple hours to make. I prefer the meat paella over seafood paella, but my host mom, when she makes paella, makes the seafood version. The other day I had arroz negro (black rice) which was paella with just squid and completely black. The ink from the squid turns the entire mixture, plate, your teeth and tongue black. Freaked me out originally but I lived.
Paella
 
Another very common food is Spanish tortilla which is a mixture of egg, potatoes and onion. When it's done it reminds me of quiche, but a little thicker and more durable.  It's probably one of my favorite things here and you eat it plain, with garlic butter on top or on a some bread and make a sandwich. We don't have it too terrible often (unfortunately) because it takes awhile to make.


A meal that is also very common in Spain is arroz del Cubano.  It consists of a fried egg, a very thin pork chop and white rice with tomato sauce poured over it. It's pretty good and easy to make. Other customs related to food include eating some type of fruit everyday after lunch. I really like this custom because honestly, I'm always in the mood for something sweet. Also having pudding, flan or yogurt after dinner for a type of dessert.  Also for breakfast they have lots of pastries and lots of chocolate. There are bakeries everywhere in big cities and you can find a pastry for every meal and loaves and loaves of bread. We actually get a baguette delivered to our house every morning which my host mom generally put out at lunch so you can grab a chuck and dip it in whatever stew type thing we're having. I'm in charge of my own breakfast and two snacks. For breakfast I have a cup of nesquick with either butter toast, cereal or a chocolate croissant if my host mom bought some. For break at school, my host mom bought me these mini baguettes (really just a decent sized dinner roll) which I normal put nutella, butter or chorizo on. At school they have a small cantina where you can by tortilla on a baguette, empenadas, croissants, small pizza or candy. However, most kids bring a bocadillo which is some type of meat or nutella on a baguette. And they are a solid 10 inches long.  yeah big sandwiches. For merienda which is a snack at like 7, I normally have a cup of nesquick (either hot or cold) and some cookies (which are more like graham crackers).

So school is half super similar and the other half very different.  Like I said above, they don't have lunch at school and instead two breaks where we stand around and talk. At the moment, there is a futbol sala league going on.  Futbol sala is 6 v 6 soccer played with small nets. There is a league that now plays during the 20 minute break.  I'll actually be playing in the girls league with a mixture of girls from my soccer team and my class.
One of the 2 games going on during the first break. 
This is the recreation yard. This is where I have gym everyday and the surrounding 2 buildings are classrooms and we're sitting on bleachers that are built into the side of the gym.
 
 
My classes at school are purely lectures meant to prepare the students for the big college entrance test they have at the end of the year. Also, no one dresses up for school. I have seen no dresses and no skirts.  Most of the girls wear leggings and a sweater or sweatshirt. It is true that Spain/Madrid is one of the fashion capitals of the world, however, that influence doesn't seem to reach Cartagena so people wear whatever is comfortable. Teenagers only dress up when they go out on the weekends. Girls do their hair and makeup and often wear heels. As it's getting colder girls are now wearing scarves and boots, but still manage to look very stylish. The guys generally wear a nice pair of jeans or khakis with a sweater. Going out consists of going to various bars to drink, play pool, foosball or sit and talk. Then they migrate from bar to bar. Or they go to a discotec and dance.  And then go to McDonald's at 3 a.m. before going home.  It is also very common to have a boyfriend or girlfriend that goes to a different school. My original thought was how on earth do they find them then?!  Well school is social, yes, but everyone goes out to the same spots on the weekend and actually looks good! So most people don't go to school with their boyfriend or even their best friend cause they met them while out. Also there are no activities through school so if you play a sport o do music, it's through the city so you likely meet kids from all over and they become your best friends.
Me and some of the girls from my soccer team.
 
As far as restaurants go, there are tons and all of them are the same unless they specify "Chinese restaurant" or "Italian restaurant"  all of the other ones serve pretty much the same food and serve every meal.  It is most common to go out for lunch. I never have with my family, but I did quite a few times in Madrid. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day so at a restaurant it's a solid 3 course meal.  They have a lunch menu and from that menu you pick a first course and a second course from a list of 5-6 of each. You then get on free drink and dessert. At all restaurants you can choose from soup, salad, pasta or vegetables for the first course (specific Spanish kinds of course, the same at every restaurant, but a specific type that is Spanish). Then you choose from baked chicken, eggs potatoes and sausage, fish, pork loin or another type of fish cooked differently. There is also always bread on the table. You then pick dessert and all the restaurants have the classics: flan, ice cream, arroz con leche, a type of chocolate cake that I love or fruit. After dessert you are then brought coffee ordered how you like it. So 2 courses, dessert, coffee, a drink and communal bread all for about 12 euro. Needless to say, I really like eating out. There are also coffee bars everywhere. They are literally just bars that serve coffee and alcohol all day, and honestly, people drink both of those at any given time. All of the coffee bars in Cartagena have outdoor seat with they put a wind block around for winter. For dinner, if you go out to a restaurant, you again have the choice of ordering what they call "the menu" or something specific.  If you order the menu it is exactly like lunch with the free beverage, coffee and dessert, but instead of 2 courses they bring communal appetizers.  5 different classic Spanish appetizers which you share between 4 people. I've only been out to dinner once which was with my soccer team. It was a blast and food was great.
 
Some typical Spanish appetizers. Also when you go to a bar it is very common to get a free appetizer when you by a drink so bars always have a supply decent variety.
Croquetas
Calamari
Carne con Tomate
Ensalada Rusa
Patatas Bravas
 
To go shopping, there are tons of stores in el centro (downtown Cartagena). Unfortunately they are pretty much the same stores that are at every mall in Spain, but I still prefer to walk downtown where I can be outside and then see the port instead of the mall we have in the newly developed area. There are also small grocery stores every couple of blocks. My host mom goes to the supermarket everyday to get stuff to cook lunch. Also there are no large grocery stores like Cub, everything is small and neighborhood based.
 
Much like me most kids walk to school. Those who don't get dropped of by someone, ride their bike, a few mopeds or (as I found out today) a lot of people take the bus then walk from the bus stop to school.  Schools are separated by neighborhoods just like in the U.S. so I think everyone should lives within walking distance of my school. However, my school offers a bilingual program where you can take half of your classes in French and I think people come from the suburbs for that program, but very few.
 
I mentioned earlier that it is indeed getting colder! Mid day has cooled down to about 7 degrees whereas mornings and nights are high 50s.  My host mom keeps telling me that November is always really weird because there can be 3 days that are in the 60s and feel like winter then the next 3 days will be in the 80s.  I've definitely noticed that and it makes it impossible to get dressed in the morning. By the time I walk home I'm always burning cause it's the hottest time of the day, but in the morning and during the school day I'm freezing.  Also I have soccer practice from 8-10 at night until June. The cool nights are always taking an effect on me as  I realize I brought one sweatshirt and one pair of sweatpants.  It wouldn't be a huge issue, but I shower after practice then drive home. I didn't dry my hair originally because I go to school in Minnesota with wet hair when it's 3 degrees and nothing happens. But, after going home with we hair I got sick (my host mom gave me a 10 minute long I told you so talk) and now I blow dry my hair and am not allowed to shower in the mornings before school. Also, none of the houses have insulation (because they don't really need is) which means when I'm freezing, I'm absolutely freezing. I've been wearing my fuzzy socks and Columbia fleece more than I expected too and suddenly realize that 3/4 of my clothing is no longer wearable.
 
Now to my family. Here's  picture of them so you can visualize them as I talk about them.

Left to right:
Santiago: my 20 year old brother who lives at home
Leto: my host dad
Paqui: my host mom
Daniel: my 18 year old host brother who is living in Massachusetts while I live in his room
 
Alrighty so Santiago lives at home and goes to university in Murcia which is the capital of my province. It is twice the size of Cartagena and a half hour away in a bus, which is how he gets there.  He commutes to Murcia everyday which isn't super common.  It is very normal, nearly expected, to live with your parents while you go to college in your city. However, if you go to school in a different city, it is common to rent an apartment with other college students. So he isn't supper normal for commuting everyday, but there are buses to and from Murcia every hour because a lot of people go there for work and school.  Santiago is gone by the time I get up in the morning then he comes back at about 4. He then proceeds to sit on the couch, watch tv, sit in his room, do homework? or hang out with is girlfriend. He lives the typical life of a young Spanish person: go to school during the week and do nothing pretty much all week then go out on Friday night till 4 a.m., sleep till 3-5 p.m. get up and eat sit around or sleep more until midnight then repeat. On Sundays he usually sleeps till 5. Typical life of a Spaniard.
 
Now Leto: Leto is the mayor's driver.  He went to a technical type college to learn about cars. He absolutely loves cars and apparently they have some fancy automatic car that he likes driving, but I've never seen it. He also likes racing and betting on derby cars. Yeah like the little ones that you race down a straight track and don't turn. He's also learning to play the trumpet and is just a character.  He reminds me a lot of my own dad in his sense of humor and is often treated like a small child by my host mother. Apparently he's constantly forgetting stuff, but very single minded in a determined sense. He always gives me tips on how not to annoy Paqui and he jokes around with me about my Spanish. Leto is by far the easiest person I've found to talk to here. Yes I get annoyed when he tries to give me tips on how to play soccer when he's never even played and isn't even a fan, but he's just like any dad. He also drives me to soccer, stays and talks during then practice, waits for me to shower, then takes me home. I think he likes feeling like part of the organization and talking with the coaches and organizers every week. He has stern conversations with me sometimes, but we joke around more often than not. I realize as I'm writing this that he's the only one that really makes me feel like part of the family.
 
Ooof now Paqui. Well Paqui doesn't have a job so she stys home and cleans all day.  How she explained it to me was that cleaning is her hobby not her habit. She has a strict schedule of changing the sheets every Monday, vacuuming on Fridays, etc.  We also have designated cups, spoons and dishes for each meal and she checks to see if a baguette is missing every morning to make sure I made myself a snack for school.  She gets worried if she doesn't see my nesquick cup and gets mad if I open the windows when they shouldn't be opened or sit in front of an open window. That's just the top layer of thing. Just like any house wife, the house is her space and her hobby so she likes it a certain way. I understand all of that, but it still takes some getting used to. The majority of the time we have great conversations. We can talk about anything. Weather, religion, names, languages, movies, when I was a kid, school, Spanish culture, anything. Much like moms in general, she like to be right and appear to be the most educated on any given subject.  Something I'm very used to, but she'll still correct me on my comments about the weather or say I told you so when I don't listen to her. Leto and Santiago often piss her off by not remembering the rules of the house or just by out right doing something wrong. She just yells at them till they walk away or grab the correct spoon. With me she realizes she can't really do that so sometimes it can be hard. We'll just get done having a really interesting conversation, but she'll interrupt with the fact that I should hang my bag up downstairs or not use the bathroom because she just cleaned it. Normally she would just yell that, but instead she tells me then goes on to ramble for 10 minutes trying to explain why I shouldn't do something when really she has no reason.  Then it just gets awkward, but I'm getting good at just apologizing a lot. Otherwise she's super nice and is learning to play the clarinet so she does do something!
 
And Daniel who I really wish I knew more. He's in Massachusetts right now and I've talked to him once over Skype, while he was talking to the rest of his family of course. Kids here generally do one activity outside of school, sports or music mostly, but rarely both. Daniel has been in the community band I play in for multiple years playing the trombone. Paqui and Leto have been band parents for multiple years (helping organizing, set up for concerts, etc.) and last year some of the parents decided to take up instruments, that's why they're learning to play the trumpet and clarinet. Thankfully I played an instrument otherwise I would spend a lot of time at home while they went to all of the band things. But yeah Daniel is playing trombone in Massachusetts and actually just got into the Massachusetts State band or something like that. Pretty cool and makes me want to meet this kid seeing as I'm living his life...
 
 So that's them and I seem to fit in petty well... or at least they aren't complaining to my face or anything.
 
Now, like I said, I feel like I haven't done anything terribly interesting in the last month, but that hasn't stopped me from living and thinking. I have plenty (too much) time during the day to sit and contemplate life. If you've ever spent a sufficient amount of time with me you know that I think way too much and my minds goes through a million different thoughts a minute. Below is a list of thoughts and questions which passed through my head today during Lengua.  I purposely left out all of the random fluff thoughts and only chose the stuff that actually pertains to life.  But now you will see exactly what I have been doing for a month.
 
"Has my learning of Spanish hit a plateau? Am I wasting precious time of my exchange by watching movies? Is there a "right" way to do this? What would I be doing if I were home right now? Will I ever be fluent? I tell my self all in good time, but will being fluent and making friends happen on their own or do I have to be proactive? Would it be "easier" in a country where everything is different so I wouldn't constantly be comparing and instead just accept everything as new? Will this year make me permanently lazy? Will I really make life long friends because right now it doesn't feel like it... In some ways I've been stripped of my independence and in others I've been given way more independence. Am I being a good ambassador? Will there be a time when I don't think about home everyday? Will I be disappointed when I come home and everything isn't as I've been dreaming about it and remembering it as all year? Am I hurting myself by not writing, reading and trying to think in Spanish? ...It never hit me that I'm in Spain. I never got that in awe moment. It's not that I want to leave, but there's nothing keeping me here so far. Am I making myself an even more passive person my not telling my host mom I don't like peas or for just not standing up fro myself in general? Will that passiveness hurt me next year at college where I have to actually fend for myself? Am I reluctant to change? Do I not like what I think I would become? Am I truly content or just adjusting to going through the motions? Am I killing myself by talking to my family everyday? What specifically about this lifestyle does my host brother miss while in the U.S.? Did I have too high of expectations of what this would be like before I got here? Does my exchange and Spain still have the potential to fulfill those expectations? What would each of these kids think if they came to the U.S. and experienced my life?"
 
So you see I haven't exactly been content with just going through my normal routine. But maybe it's what I need to accept.  As you can see I'm stuck somewhere between accepting my lifestyle and being proactive. But as Frodo said, my experience turned out a lot different than I expected.  It's not a bad thing. I have good days and bad just like anyone else. As for now I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  As always, I'm up for new opportunities and adventures.
 
Hopefully now you know a bit more about my life and I'm sorry it's been a month since I blogged. I promise keeping you all in the loop is my main priority (after making friends, speaking Spanish and living).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment